Dede's Green Scene: The Green in our Stars! by Dede Tabak, November 18 2014, 0 Comments
Shailene Woodley has been making headlines recently with her films The Fault in our Stars and Divergent. Now, the newly turned 23-year-old (her birthday was November 15), is using her rising celebrity to spread her eco-conscious practices and her earth-loving philosophies to her fans.
Woodley has been a self-proclaimed environmentalist since she was 15 years old. She describes the moment everything changed in Natural Health Magazine.
“It was an incredibly windy day and I was walking through the quad of my public high school, which is surrounded by pine trees. There were hundreds of pine needles swirling around in the air, and I looked down and scattered across this huge grassy expanse was all of the trash left over from lunch— plastic bags, soda cans, that kind of thing. And something just clicked when I saw the juxtaposition of the ignorance on the ground against the beauty and freedom in the sky. That’s when I knew I wanted to dedicate my life to this, because there’s something really wrong here.”
From then on, she vowed to make a change and realized that, “if we plan to save the planet, we have to start with ourselves.”
Here are some eco-friendly tips that Shailene Woodley lives by:
- Know Where Your Food and Water Come From – Woodley did a lot of research on factory farming, genetically engineered foods and agriculture, and she saw a disconnect between nature and our food and a lack of education about where our food comes from. In her own life, she gathers her own spring water once a month from the mountains and carries a mason jar around with her for drinking water as she doesn’t want to expose herself or the planet to the chemicals used in plastics. She also grows her own food and/or goes to farmers' markets.
- Make Your Own Beauty Products – Woodley is known for making her own makeup. She even wore her own lip color, made out of beets, to the 2013 Golden Globes. When she does have to wear heavier makeup, she uses products from the 100% Pure makeup line, whose mission is to create the healthiest cosmetics made with the highest quality ingredients. Or Woodley uses Tarte, which she says in Cosmopolitan that, “It’s the most mainstream brand I’ve found that still takes that extra step in the right direction.”
- Make Your Own Toiletries – Woodley also makes her own natural deodorant, face wash and lotions, using oils. She also makes toothpaste with clay, few essential oils, herbs and coconut oil, which she said on Late Night with Seth Meyers, “you don't spit it out, you swallow it. So you're getting your daily dose of medicine while you brush your teeth.” A lot of the products and ingredients she uses are from Living Libations, which sells an exquisite line of serums, elixirs and essentials oils.
- Don’t Buy New Clothes – Woodley told Coco Eco Magazine that 97% of her wardrobe is used clothing. She either purchases items from thrift stores or borrows from friends. When it comes to the red carpet, Woodley only wears clothes that will be reworn afterwards and she refuses to wear fur or diamonds. She has been known to go without makeup and to wear her 'barefoot' or five finger shoes on the red carpet, as well.
- Know Your Herbs – Woodley studied the power of herbology in indigenous cultures and how herbs and plants can be used not only for food, but for medicine. “I don’t go anywhere without chaga mushroom. It grows only on birch trees. The Russians used it throughout their wars as an immunity builder. There are amazing chaga tinctures so you just take a dropper-full every day, or make a tea out of it. Check it out," she said in an interview Dazed Digital
We can all learn a lot from Woodley’s eco-friendly lifestyle; but most importantly we should learn that we all have a responsibility.
And once again, she said it best in the Hollywood Reporter, “I’m going to be a citizen of this planet and I’m going to do my responsibility and live in stride with nature instead of constantly fighting against her.”